Agile Project Management, 2nd Edition, July 2009. by Jim Highsmith. Listen to a podcast interview with Israel Gat and Michael Cote later this week at http://theagileexecutive.com/. The new edition:
- Focuses on fundamentals of Agile project management, plus a new emphasis on issues impacting enterprise agility.
- Includes a new chapter Beyond Scope, Schedule, and Cost: Measuring Agile Performance. The Agile Triangle: Value, Quality, Constraints; what quality is and why it is important; outcome performance metrics; output performance metrics; shortening-the-tail.
- Revises agile values and concepts chapters to reflect three agile management values: Delivering Value over meeting Constraints (Value over Constraints), Leading the Team over managing Tasks (Team over Tasks), Adapting to change over Conforming to plans (Adapting over Conforming).
- Includes a four-level agile framework: Project Governance, Project Management, Iteration Management, Technical Practices.
- Includes a new chapter on Advanced Release Planning: Value point calculation, multi-level planning, capability cases, themes, capacity-based planning, work-in-process versus throughput.
- Includes a new chapter on Scaling Agile Projects: A scaling model, building large self-organizing teams, scaling up–agile practices, scaling out–distributed projects.
- Includes a new chapter on Governing Agile Projects: Key management control is investment and risk, not serial documents, separating project governance (serial) from project delivery (iterative), and an agile phase-gate model.