Enterprise Architecture has become a mainstream activity in large or information intensive organizations. In the past few years, the industry has seen lots of changes: “the cloud”, Enterprise 2.0, an updated Zachman Framework, unprecedented growth in TOGAF certification, maturing definition of business architecture, financial crisis and new priorities. How have these trends affected EA in different organizations? What activities are they focused on? Have they been able to hire qualified candidates? What are the new issues and challenges being faced by organizations?
Several years ago, Cutter IT Journal covered the emerging best practices in EA and since then, readers have requested that we check back to explore how things are evolving. So that’s what we’re doing. I’m the guest editor for the November issue, tentatively titled “Enterprise Architecture: The State of the Practice 2010”. Why don’t you submit an article? (Abstracts are due 8/28; articles are due 10/2). Some of the areas I’m hoping our authors will explore include:
- Do EA frameworks provide helpful guidelines or are they a distraction?
- What are the benefits/myths of certification value?
- What are some successful stories regarding EA repositories and other tools?
- How can EA value be applied to the decision support process? What is EA’s role in business alignment, strategy and portfolio management?
- How can EA be integrated into the outsourcing and contracting process to achieve architectural goals and governance?
- What is EA’s role in cloud computing?
- How can the implementation of Enterprise 2.0 technologies benefit EA?
- What is the role of metrics in an EA program?
- How can EA leadership promote value up, down and across the enterprise?
- How do EA organizational structures contribute to the success of the enterprise?
- What is the role of EA during a financial crisis?
- What are some effective enterprise IT funding models and how can organizations make the transition to use these models?
My Call for Papers will give you more details; if you need even more, just let me know!
What do you think? Have organizations that implemented EA programs realized the benefits they expected?