Below is the detailed outline for my August 8, 1:30-5:00PM Technical Debt Workshop in Agile 2011. I look forward to meeting you and interacting with you in the conference before, during and after this workshop!
Technical Debt: Assessment and Reduction
Part I: Technical Debt in the Overall Context of the Software Process
- A Holistic Model of the Software Process
- Two Aspects of Output
- Three Aspects of Technical Debt
- Five Aspects of Software
Part II: What Really is Technical Debt?
- What’s in a Metaphor?
- Code Analysis
- Time is Money
- Monetizing Technical Debt
- Typical Stakeholder Dialog Around Technical Debt
- Analysis of the Cassandra Code
- Project Dashboard
Part III : Case Study – NotMyCompany, Inc.
- NotMyCompany Highlights
- Modernizing Legacy Code
- Error Proneness
Part IV: The Tricky Nature of Technical Debt
- The Explicit Form of Technical Debt
- The Implicit Form of Technical Debt
- The Strategic Impact of Technical Debt
- No Good Strategy Following Prolonged Neglect
Part V: Unified Governance
- How We View Success
- Three Core Metrics
- Productivity, Affordability, Risk
- What is the Real ROI?
Part VI: Process Control Models
- A Typical Technical Debt Pattern
- Process Control View of Scrum
- Integration of Technical Debt in the Agile Process
- Using Statistical Process Control Methods
Part VII: Reducing Technical Debt
- A Framework for Thinking about and Acting on Technical Debt Issues
- Portfolio Governance
Part VIII: Takeaways
- Nine Simple Takeaway
- Connecting the dots
Agile Product Management & Software Engineering Excellence practice from 2008 until 2015.