Cutter IT Journal Call for Papers — with Guest Editor: Stijn Viaene — Abstract Deadline: September 9, 2015 —
The combination of new digital technologies such as Social, Mobile, Analytics (Big Data), Cloud and Internet of Things gave rise to digital disrupters such as Uber, Airbnb and PayPal. However, from an incumbent perspective, an unrealized potential to transform existing businesses and industries remains. Many observers have identified a significant gap between incumbents’ recognition of the importance of new digital technologies currently at their disposal and their understanding of how to optimally exploit them. This signals that many questions surrounding digital transformation are left unanswered and even unidentified.
Some organizations are experimenting with digital innovation labs, but there too several challenges remain. What should be the responsibilities of the lab? How should lab innovation interact with the existing business? Who should lead the digital transformation? Do we need to introduce the role of a Chief Digital Officer? Moreover, digital transformation does not only occur within, but also across organizational boundaries. How do organizations collaborate in open digital ecosystems? What business models work? Which digital resource architectures promote successful open innovation? Answering these and other questions will be key in understanding and achieving the true value of digital.
An upcoming issue of Cutter IT Journal with Guest Editor and Cutter Fellow Stijn Viaene seeks interesting insights on digital transformation from the point of view of incumbent organizations or networks of organizations. This special issue welcomes research contributions that help to grasp the different aspects surrounding digital transformation.
Possible discussion points include those mentioned above, as well as, but not limited, to the following:
- What are the challenges and risks of a digital transformation?
- What organizational and technological capabilities are needed?
- How can existing business and IT capabilities be leveraged?
- What is the role of a Chief Digital Officer in a digital transformation?
- What is the development process of digital transformation?
- How do organizations collaborate in open digital ecosystems?
- What are the drivers and barriers to a digital transformation?
- What role will digital innovation labs play?
- How will business models be transformed?
- What strategic choices and paradoxes might be encountered in a digital transformation?
- What type of data experimentation is needed for a digital transformation?
- How can digital assets be monetized? How can physical assets be digitized?
- What is the role of Enterprise Architecture in a digital transformation?
- What is the role of Enterprise Governance?
- What are the privacy, security and trust issues?
- How can digital innovation be scaled?
TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE IDEA: DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 9, 2015
Please send an email to Christine Generali and Guest Editor Stijn Viaene and include an extended abstract, a short article outline showing major discussion points, and a brief bio of the author(s).
ARTICLE DEADLINE: OCTOBER 19, 2015