Artificial intelligence (AI) is no longer just the stuff of science fiction movies; it’s real and transforming the way we live and do business. AI encompasses several technologies including machine learning (ML), deep learning (DL), and chatbots. AI is currently being used in domains such as finance, manufacturing, healthcare, automotive, entertainment, security, and in cyber-physical systems, to name a few.
As well, large investments are being made in research, development and marketing of AI products, tools and services. There is increasing awareness of AI and its promises, limitations and concerns. To gain dominance in the AI landscape, there is fierce competition among technology giants as well as startups. Ongoing developments in AI and the resulting possibilities are impressive and likely to further transform the world. Alternatively, there are serious concerns of the ethical implications and potential harmful effects of AI applications on society.
An upcoming issue of Cutter Business Technology Journal, Guest Edited by San Murugesan, is seeking insight on the key challenges, opportunities, business applications, new research, technologies, strategies, and ethical considerations of AI, machine learning, deep learning and chatbots, now and in the future. It will also seek to examine the key technologies that will have a transformative influence, present insight on strategies and approaches for realizing its potential, and discuss emerging new issues and concerns and how it may impact IT jobs and businesses.
For this issue, we welcome articles from practitioners, academics, consultants, visionaries and industry experts to address one or more of the following suggested questions:
TOPICS OF DISCUSSION
- What are the promise and potential of AI, ML, and DL from practical perspectives?
- How is AI being used now or in the future in domains such as business, finance, manufacturing, healthcare, education, etc.?
- How could AI could be innovatively employed in IoT and smart city applications, robotics, home appliances, and personal gadgets?
- How may AI and ML be used to further improve cybersecurity and effectively manage cyber threats, including obscure, new and unknown (future) threats? What AI tools and approaches have already been employed, and what were the resulting benefits?
- How may business, entertainment industry, gaming, and tourism get transformed by AI, and what new applications and innovations may emerge?
- How can AI be innovatively and judiciously applied in an enterprise? What should encompass an enterprise AI strategy, and how should it be implemented? What are some examples?
- What are the limitations and challenges posed by AI and how may they be addressed?
- What are the major concerns, fears and threats of AI applications? Is it overhyped or real?
- How may AI impact the jobs landscape, IT and otherwise?
- What new opportunities will arise now, and in the near future, for the IT industry and technology professionals?
- Who are the major players around the globe in the AI landscape (technology, applications, services and tools), and what are their offerings?
- How can AI systems and humans work together collaboratively?
- What are moral and ethical obligations and responsibilities of AI application developers?
- How do we go about developing an AI application? How can we test and evaluate an AI application and establish its trust-worthiness?
- Do AI technologies and applications need be regulated, and if so by whom?
ARTICLE PROPOSAL DEADLINE: JANUARY 10, 2018
Please send your article proposal to San Murugesan at san[at]computer[dot].org, with a copy to cgenerali[at]cutter[dot]com no later than January 10 and include an extended abstract and a short article outline showing major discussion points. In your proposal, also highlight key contributions of the article that are of value to the readers and include a brief biography of each author.
ARTICLE DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 12, 2018
For manuscript guidelines, see https://www.cutter.com/call-papers#Editorial Guidelines